Papa Pope is in town for two weeks and while I continue working on the kitchen cabinets he has been working on the wainscotting in the bathroom. For the wainscotting we used the original wall boards from the bathroom which I salvaged during demo. These are 11-foot long quarter-sawn Fir v-groove 3.5″ boards that went from floor to ceiling, but several of them had water damage and notches for the old tub and other appliances. I removed them entirely during demo so that I could run new wiring, insulate the exterior wall, and drywall, but I salvaged all the good boards and stored them in the crawl space. A while ago I thought it would be a nice idea to use the salvaged boards to wrap the room with 4-foot high wainscotting, and so we set to work on the project last weekend. I cut about fifty 4-foot long boards, and Dad spent a full day scraping them down to remove scraps of wall paper and any peeling paint.
In the photos above you can see the sequence of the wainscotting coming together. The bare boards look a bit scrappy until they get primed and the old and new nail holes get filled with putty. For the cap rail I milled a piece of poplar, rounded over the front edges and scribed it to the wall. Then I added an ogee moulding support to the cap rail to complete the transition. Where the cap rail meets up with the tub surround tile I terminated it with a return, which came out great especially with the ogee profile. For the baseboard we went with a simple 5″ unprofiled board. Dad painted everything up in an off-white semi-gloss that matches the picture rail and crown moulding above. We’ll wait until the window stool is in before we put the cap rail on the right hand side of the room. It came out great and only had a material cost of about $30 worth of new wood and around $15 of paint!