Monthly Archives: October 2013

And stay out…

By | Home Restoration | 2 Comments

One of the top priorities at this stage of the restoration is to secure the home from unwanted intruders: notably anything small and furry.  To that end I recently carried out some repair work to the crawl space door which had a noticeable gap between the frame and the door at ground level.   Read More

Our Apple Trees

By | Home Restoration | No Comments

Somewhat hidden amongst the current jungle that is our backyard are two large apple trees.  Back in the late 19th century the land that our home sits on was part of an orchard that belonged to a famous nearby castle.  We recently had an arborist come by the house because we need to have a few trees which are too close to the foundation removed.  While he was there he told me that given the size and type of apple that our trees produce, it’s likely that they were part of that orchard, and that they could very well predate the house. Read More

A workshop of questionable manliness

By | Home Restoration, Woodworking | 3 Comments

The kitchen, with its pink floral wallpaper, has become my temporary workshop as I prep the second bedroom for finishing. It’s actually a pretty good setup since the floor is well protected with a sandwich of laminate and lino above the original hardwood. None of the cupboards that are currently in the kitchen will stay, so it’s nice to be able to use those for storage of my tools and not be worried about damaging them. There’s lots of light and a good cross-breeze when I open the windows. Read More

Second bedroom is stripped

By | Demolition, Home Restoration | No Comments

The second bedroom is currently the most frightening in the house, but  it also has tons of potential.  In the attic you can see that underneath the wall and ceiling coverings in the second bedroom, bathroom, and laundry room there is actually  v-groove old-growth fir paneling throughout.  All three rooms are solid wood!  Because the second bedroom is also going to be my temporary workshop,  I was keen to get to work on it.  I started by removing multiple layers of wallpaper and some sort of cardboard backing on the walls in solid sheets using my pry bar.  Next was removal of the crown moulding, and then removal of the ceiling coverings.  The ceiling had wallpaper, but I wasn’t sure what was between that and the v-groove.  It turned out to be a layer of 1/2″ vintage gyprock that had been nailed in.  It was a messy job to remove it, but definitely worth it. Read More